Serum at night takes benefit of the body’s natural repair time. Sleep is when cells go into reformative mode. You want to care for and enhance this natural process. Creams tend to relax on the surface and act as a barrier, Most of the time trapping dead skin cells and clogging pores, which can lead to breakouts.
Table of Contents
Best Night Serums
Night serums can work miracles for our skin if used daily. They are specially curated formulas that mix various ingredients that support our skin’s rebuilding capacity. We sometimes use the term “restorative sleep” very loosely. But nighttime is the perfect time to kick your beauty routine into overdrive. As you feel a little zizz, your skin begins to repair itself, so applying a serum before laying your pate on the pillow at night is a wise choice.
From acne prevention to skin improvement, different types of serums and formulas address a change of skin concerns. But overall, these are important to keep your skin looking healthy and youthful during your sleeping beauty experience. You’re not sure where to start? Shop TODAY reached out to several skincare experts to find out what to look for in a night serum. And they even suggested some products you’ll be dying to go to bed through.
Why do we want a Serum at Night?
Rendering to board-certified plastic surgeon Dr Alexis Parcells, MD, serums care for the skin as it regenerates overnight to repair any damage done during the day.
“Serums often contain energetic products, including antioxidants and collagen-inducing ingredients, and are best absorbed while we sleep,” he added.
What elements should you look for in a Night Serum?
- All skin types can advantage from the use of serums.
- “Serums are generally thin and easily absorbed into the skin to deliver powerful actives or ingredients that have been showing to improve skin tone and texture,” Parcells shared.
- Standard serum formulations include vitamins C and E and hyaluronic acid to combat signs of ageing.
- “While retinol is excessive to use before bed, it should be avoided during the day as it can growth photosensitivity,” Parcells added.
- Ready to include a serum in your bedtime skincare routine? It’s the perfect time to give your skin approximately TLC.
- “Serums enter the skin’s surface much better while you sleep and your skin cells regenerate. As your skin rests at night, it replenishes itself, allowing the product to absorb better,” said Dr Debra Jaliman, New York City dermatologist and author of “Skin Rules. Trade Secrets from a Top New York Dermatologist,” said.
- The skincare expert recommends looking for a serum with elements like retinol, peptides, and antioxidants to get the most significant report for your buck and trust this anti-ageing option.
Best Night Serums to Incorporate into Your P.M. Skincare Routine
We would never use night creams, but if you want to get the most skincare benefits at night, you may want to consider swapping your night cream for a night serum. “Serums can be a great choice over creams because they formulate with more focused amounts of active ingredients for better, deeper delivery,” explains Michigan-based dermatologist Dr Fatima Fahs.
“Because they are lightweight, serums tend to engage quickly into the skin and therefore can produce more dramatic results,” adds Dr Fahs. And here’s the other thing. While some are explicitly marketed as night serums, you can use any serum, day or night. (Make sure to use SPF afterwards during the day.) However, the benefit of wearing one at night? It is when your skin (and your body in general) goes into repair mode, meaning it’s better to utilise all those more concentrated amounts of actives. It’s a win-win.
We’ve studied the best night serums, evaluating each one on its active ingredient formula, specific benefits, skin feel, and value. We consider dozens of brands for different skin types and concerns with expert recommendations from board-certified dermatologists. We landed on these top-rated night serums to bring you the best in show business.
Night serums are always lightweight and can penetrate the layers of your skin quickly. When applying one, always pat and massage it well onto your face and neck to absorb completely into your skin. You don’t have to rinse or wipe them off.